1. POSITION: SACIDS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
A. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The African Centre of Excellence
The SACIDS-ACE is a Southern Africa Centre for Infectious Disease Surveillance located at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA). It is a One Health VIRTUAL CENTRE linking academic and research institutions involved with infectious diseases of humans and animals – supported by Sector Ministries, with direct responsibility for public health, animal health and wildlife conservation/health. It works in smart partnership with Centres of Science in industrialised and Middle Income countries (G20) as well as international research centres. The Mission of the CENTRE is: to improve Africa’s capacity to DETECT, IDENTIFY and MONITOR (DIM) infectious diseases of Humans, Animals, Ecosystems and their interactions in order to better manage the RISK posed by them.
A Communications Manager is required to lead the SACIDS Communication strategy and team within SUA focusing on developing and implementing an active engagement with the public, policy and scientific communities at national, regional and international levels.
FUNCTION OF THE SACIDS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Under the guidance of the SACIDS-ACE Leader and the SACIDS Executive Director, the immediate supervision of the SACIDS-ACE One Health Epidemiologist cum Programme Manager, the SACIDS Communications Manager will lead the SACIDS Communication team of staff and consultants to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the following duties;
GENERL DUTIES OF THE SACIDS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
To develop and implement the Communication Strategy of the SACIDS Africa Centre of Excellence for Infectious Diseases Surveillance through effective management of the operations of the SACIDS Communication team, including consultants. To assist SACIDS Leadership in developing and managing the Resource Mobilisation Strategy.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SACIDS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
- Communications, Image Development and Resource Mobilisation
- To develop, deliver and monitor SACIDS’s communication and resource mobilization strategy about the purpose, processes and activities of SACIDS
- To develop an image package for SACIDS as a leading One Health Forum and Research Platform in sub-Saharan Africa
- To lead in both SACIDS internal and external communication
- To write press releases and articles about SACIDS’s activities, and to strengthen close links between media and appropriate publishing bodies
- To take the lead in developing appropriate processes for the dissemination of SACIDS-led project findings and outputs
- To develop and maintain a SACIDS brand style guide for all SACIDS communications and act as brand manager for the SACIDS identity
- To promote events and activities through media briefings and newsletters to SACIDS’s members and external audiences
- To manage the communications-related work experience placement scheme for postgraduate students
- To assist in developing and managing relationships with donors, international organisations, governments, NGOs and other key stakeholders of SACIDS
- To scan sources for funding and advise the SACIDS Directorate, researchers and Secretariat as well as Member Institutions of such opportunities
- Maintain a roster of key funding agencies
- To develop or edit proposals for SACIDS resource mobilisation
- To manage ad hoc SACIDS communications projects as appropriate Web and online activities
- To raise SACIDS’s online profile through social networking platforms.
- To develop the SACIDS website as a regional One Health Knowledge Management portal.
- To develop the social media portfolio of the SACIDS website in order to enhance the Forum objectives of SACIDS and to develop a One Health African young scientist as part of the global one health and health security community.
- To assist in developing the SACIDS website as an effective tool for developing South-South-North One Health Dialogue.
- To assist in designing a SACIDS Virtual Learning Environment, maintaining editorial control and writing content as required including monitoring discussion groups and other interactive support features.
- To play a key role in organising conferences, workshops, meetings of working groups and launches for SACIDS’s members and external partners from academia, policy- making, NGOs, charities and the media.
- To write reports, produce and edit audio and video content related to events.
- To liaise with SACIDS members to facilitate and organise academic workshops on interdisciplinary research.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A first degree in either communication disciplines or in a biomedical or related biological science plus a Master’s degree in Communication disciplines and a minimum of five years working experience at progressive responsibilities in Communication with an emphasis on web based channels.
- Proven experience in web design and management of a highly interactive website
- Practical experience with usage of social networking applications (Twitter,Facebook, etc).
- Sound experience in developing brand awareness.
- Sound experience of journalism/communications/PR/marketing and producing promotional materials and publications of not less than three years from a reputable organization.
- Experience in team coordination and ability to interact effectively within multidisciplinary working environments and with external institutions/organisations
- Experience with resource mobilisation, including scanning relevant donor interest or announcement, contacts and preparation or editing of funding proposals to ensure readability and conformity with donor requirements would be a distinct advantage
2. POSITION: SACIDS ACCOUNTANT (1 POST)
GENERAL DUTIES & RESIPONSIBILITIES
A SACIDS Accountant will be assisting in taking up daily accounting activities within SACIDS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Financial Management Officer to record, analyze and report project financial status in consistence with World Bank’s procedural and reporting requirements.
- Assist in maintaining and updating all project accounting records.
- Assist in preparing monthly and annual financial reports to ensure timely submission as may be required.
- To ensure proper maintenance of receipts and payment vouchers.
- Assist in Preparing ‘ad hoc’ management and financial information and reports, as and when required internally by management officers.
- Maintain project cash balance.
- Undertaking monthly reconciliation between SACIDS Projects Bank accounts and cash book.
- Maintaining student’s records i.e. stipend payments history, tuition fees, research funds payments and any other students related claims.
- Any other task as may be assigned by the Centre Leaders.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Applicants should have a Degree in Accountancy, or finance or equivalent qualification from a recognized University or Higher Learning Institution.
- Experience in spread sheets and Microsoft Office Package.
- A good knowledge of and experience with computerized accounting system such as Vote book Information Financial Management System will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili Languages.
Remuneration: Very attractive remuneration package commensurate with experience and qualification
Duration: Initially one year contract, renewable subject to performance and funding
Duty station: SACIDS Secretariat at Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania.
The SACIDS-ACE is committed to the principles of gender equity and equal opportunity to individuals with physical disability.